Saturday, February 25, 2017

1961 Fleer Autograph Project - Part 2

This project is starting to roll along nicely. There are plenty of cards out on EBay. So many that I could being getting them almost continuously. I am holding back, since there are other things I would like to do in the short term, both in my collecting and in my real life.  There are a few more coming in the mail that I was able to snag for a song. But, more about that later.  Here is the newest addition:




Hal Schumacher had a 13 year major league career between 1931 and 1946, with 3 years off serving in the US Navy during WWII. Schumacher is an interesting choice for a set ostensibly of all time greats.  Don't get me wrong, he had a creditable career and modern metrics show him to be better than league average over the course of that career. But, other than three solid years at the outset of his career (19-12, 2.16 in 1933, 23-10, 3.18 in 1934, and 19-9, 2.89 in 1935) he was what would be considered a solid mid-rotation starter during his NY Giants career.

The best game in his career, as measured by Win Percentage Added, came on April 24, 1938. On that date, he pitched a complete game, one hit shutout against the cross-town Brooklyn. He also went 3 for 4 in the game with 3 singles, though none of those hits contributed to any scoring as the Giants sole run came on a Mel Ott home run to lead of the top of the second inning.

What I am listening to: Zombie Stomp by Ozzy Osbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment