Monday, December 28, 2015

Fleer Autograph Project - Part 48

Today, the card below arrived and becomes the 48th card from the 66 card 1963 Fleer baseball set that I have autographed.



 I found this card by chance when I did a Google search for "1963 Fleer Autographed."  It had just been added to inventory at an online retailer named Mickey's Cards out of Arizona. I was able to get this for less than $20 delivered. I consider that a bargain given that Donovan died 18 years ago, in 1997. Naturally, I have now liberated it from the plastic jail you see above.

This project is going to slow down considerably from here on out.  Of the 18 cards I yet to have in autographed form, only 4 have living subjects (Willie Mays, Al Jackson, Rich Rollins, and Bill White.)  I thought I had Mays last year, but the signing was delayed several times and finally never happened.  I have plans to get Jackson and Rollins. White is harder.  I understand he doesn't do autographs through the mail anymore, so I'll have to wait for one to come up at auction.

Of the 14 cards of deceased players, I have no clear idea how it will go. For every reasonable Dick Donovan, there is a Gene Oliver.  There was an EBay auction a short time ago for an autographed '63 Fleer Oliver that closed at $111.50.  That is way too rich for my blood at this time.

 So, in summary, I have line of sight to 50, but not beyond.  I feel pretty good about this given I started this project on a lark a few years ago.

What I am listening to:  Children of Children by Jason Isbell



1 comment: