Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Card Show Haul - Modern Cards

I didn't make huge progress on the various modern sets I am working on, but I did take a small chunk out of the remaining cards (all inserts) that I need to complete my 1994 Ted Williams set.

This card is the last card I needed to complete the 500 home run club insert set.


The next three cards didn't complete the Locklear Collection insert set, but it did leave me with only one to go.  I like this insert set real well. It is the nicest "painted" card set I have ever seen.  A lot of people like the Donruss Diamond Kings cards. I didn't, but I can't see how anyone could disagree that these are better looking.




This card is part of the 17 card Milestones insert subset.  It is, believe it or not, the first card from this insert set that I have.  I should have looked at the odds of getting these various inserts when I busted the box a while back. I have to assume these are the inserted at the longest odds.


With these five cards, I am down to 21 needed to complete the set; all but 5 of which are from the Milestones insert set.

I also picked up a few other modern cards that caught my fancy.

I really don't have much need for contemporary sets. With limited funds,  they just get in the way of my vintage sets.  But, if there was a current set I would collect, it would be 2015 Stadium Club. I really like this image.  The first African American to play for the Chicago Cubs getting the Presidential Medal of Freedom from our first African American President.  What is not to like about it?



 This card, a Bowman reprint card of Warren Spahn, plays to my love of black and white photography. Although, I have to admit that Spahnie looks kinda creepy in the picture.


Last, but not least, a single from a set I will likely put together: Swell Baseball Greats. Actually, this set is the second of three Swell sets issued between 1989 and 1991, comprising of 420 cards total.

So, that is pretty much it for the modern cards I got at the show. And that is also it for this post.  I'll move on to the vintage in the next post.

What I am listening to: I Wanna Be Rich by Jenny Kerr



1 comment:

  1. Those Locklears are some of the best inserts ever made.

    ReplyDelete