Friday, July 31, 2015

Player Collection Additions

I'll start this post out with another lament as to how my collecting activity has ground to a halt.  Real life is still dragging me down.  We finally had a long enough dry spell that we could get a bulldozer in to repair storm damage in my east pasture (We received 24" of rain in may and 45" year to date. Mind you, typical rainfall here is 32" a year.)  We are also about to do some home improvement projects.  See? Real life.

That said, I have managed to add two cards to my player collections in recent weeks.

I have been looking for this card for a couple of years. I'd missed out on a couple of auctions in the past and there was a long spell where no copies came up for sale. Then, all of a sudden, a veritable avalanche of this card has appeared on EBay.  Without looking, I would estimate about 4-5 have popped up in a matter of a few weeks. I was finally able to snag one.

This card is part of a 59 card set of similar cards issued by the New York Journal American in 1954.  The actually covers all three New York Teams of the time (Yankees, Dodgers, and Giants.)  It looks like it would be a fun set to collect, save the fact that there are a number of cards with book values over $100 including Roy Campanella, Pee Wee Reese, Jackie Robinson, Duke Snider, Willie Mays, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, and Mickey Mantle (of course.) Mantle is the most expensive at $600 BV, followed by Mays and Robinson at $300 and $250 respectively.


This is a 1941 Double Play card. It is from a 75 card set, each with 2 subjects. I was able to snag this one for around $13.  Now I need to track down a similarly affordable version of card 119/120, which features Lloyd Waner.  I was going to talk more about this set, but as usual someone else has done it better.  See here for a good description.

Other than that, I have been on the sidelines hobbywise recently and expect it to stay that way for a while.

What I am listening to:  The Letter by The Box Tops


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the great scores! I love the NY Journal cards, they're fantastic!

    ReplyDelete