Friday, June 19, 2015

Oversized Additions

I have to admit a little ambivalence here.  My Paul Blair player collection has pretty much ground to a halt. I need to pony up the $9 for a month of access to Beckett, for the sole reason of compiling a more comprehensive list of Blair cards, but I don't expect that to change my activity level significantly.  My expectation is that I will find a fair number of cards I don't have, but they will mainly be low population cut auto cards (without photos) from modern unlicensed products.  Now, unlicensed products don't bother me, but cards without photos do.   As do serial numbered cards with small populations (1/1, x/5, etc.)  Several things contributed to my exit from collecting modern sets, but the main issue was artificial scarcity.  Low population serial numbered cards and short prints really chapped my ass.  So, unless I can get them cheap, such cards won't be a high priority for me.

Oh, there are a few O-Pee-Chee that I lack, but I've never been willing to pay the inflated asking prices.   I may bend on that.  The other main category is Topps Venezuelan.  Those are so expensive, though, I have a hard time seeing myself biting the bullet. So, until then what do I do?



Post cards, I guess.  I am really torn whether post cards qualify as trading cards.  I mean they are cards and all, but they just aren't the same.  They are larger and instead of statistics on the back, they have a little square labeled "Place Stamp Here."  I did win the post card above for the huge, huge price of $5 delivered.  Alas, the seller managed to ship it to the wrong address, so he compensated me by also sending the post card below.


Not to shabby. Two autographed postcards for $5.  I like that. Getting deals like that would change my ambivalence to post cards.  At some point I need to figure out what years they are from, but not tonight.  There is a show tomorrow and I need to get ready.

What I am listening to:  Worried Mind by Eilen Jewell



No comments:

Post a Comment