Sunday, May 3, 2015

Card Show Haul

Last weekend, I went to my first card show in a while.  The OKC show that was generally held every other month had disappeared since last fall, but was recently started up again with a new promoter.  I didn't have a lot of time at my disposal as the farrier was out in the morning and I was going to see the OKC Dodgers play in the evening.   So, no discount boxes or aimlessly wandering to see what was around.  I went straight to to the two sellers I knew had the type of cards I was looking for.

One had a huge box of late 1970s cards, so I sat down and started working through the 1979s. I had previously bought an 800 count box of 1979s, but the duplication was so bad that I only ended up with about 200 unique cards.  This box, though, seemed better. I started going through it and it seemed to have less duplication. So, in the interest of time, I made an offer on the entire lot of 1979s (about 800 cards), and he accepted. 



So, how did it turn out?  There still was a lot of duplication, and my hope of completing the common portion of the set was dashed.  As it stands, after this box, I have 513 out of the 726 cards in the set. Quite a ways to go. Alas, now I probably have over 1000 duplicates to deal with.

The second seller had a binder with about 70 1956 commons in it. I went through it and needed over half of them for my '56 set.  We talked a bit about it and his offer was more than I cared to spend. I told him I wouldn't insult him by offering what I could afford. However, he got the number out of me (a bit over $2 per card) and, surprisingly, took it.



I am pleased to report that, with this pickup, I finally crossed the halfway point on the 1956 set. In fact, I am just about to the 60% complete level, having 203 out of the 340 cards. 

While I prefer to spend my time at a card show, as it is supposed to be leisure time, I am rather pleased with my productivity in the face of time constraints.



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on crossing the halfway mark on your 56 set. I'm the same way... I hate making an offer that I'm comfortable paying... but I have a strong feeling will offend the seller. I'll usually walk away unless the vendor tells me to just say it.

    ReplyDelete