Sunday, July 14, 2013

July Card Show Haul - MOJO!!!!

So, it isn't really MOJO! in the sense that I found some shweet Steven Strasburg Bryce Harper Yasiel Puig cards. But, for a vintage collector, such as myself, it felt like it.  And, yeah, I spent most of my cash on 4 cards. I really should have pocketed it.  Next weekend, my wife is flying off to San Francisco on a long planned cousins weekend. Going to one of the local LCS to work on my 1973 set would have been a great way to spend some time.  But, that plan is out the window. With the four cards below, I am officially tapped out until August.  So, what did I do?

You may have noticed I have a real hard time not picking up cards of major stars when they are offered at a price that is a fraction of what they would cost me at an LCS or on Ebay.  And Bill from Wichita is always making me such offers.  So what did I end up getting for a bit over a C-note?


Three more cards towards the 1956 set and all Hall of Famers.  I now have 51 cards from 1956. That is only about 15% of the 340 card set.  But, I am probably at the point where I need to put together a formal want list and work on building the set, albeit still slowly. So far, I have been haphazardly working on it by getting cards in the G to VG range and I think that is probably where I need to stay. Anything of higher quality would be way too expensive.

Oh, the fourth card? Behold:


1958 Sandy Koufax. Although there is no visible water damage, the card does feel as if it might have been damp at one point.  But the colors are still bright and there is no creases,bends or stains/marks, so I am quite pleased to get this card.

So now, with empty pockets, I am going to have to focus on producing some original content. I've got the preliminary research done for a couple more "Every Dog Has His Day" posts, I just need the time to sit down and write them.  I also have a whole mess of pictures from the KC-NYY game I went to in may, but I need to work through them and decide which I like.  Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice. I have maybe 60 percent of '56 set, but you seem closer than me with that Aaron and Spahn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some absolute beauties there! Love the action shot on the '56 Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I am not mistaken, the player in the action shot on the Aaron card is actually Willie Mays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on taking three steps towards finishing that amazing 56T set. I can only dream of one day attempting to build that set... it's my favorite set of all-time.

    ReplyDelete