Sunday, January 13, 2013

Trade with Stealing Home


Having given up collecting modern sets, my trading activity has pretty much ceased. And, since starting this blog was, in part, a vehicle for finding trade partners, I have lacked motivation to keep it going on a regular basis.  So, when I do complete a trade, I get pretty excited and have to talk about it.

A while back I had opened a hobby box of 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game, but didn't really like the set.  It was the first GOTG set after Upper Deck took over Fleer and the quality and design was far inferior.  There was a few nice hits, but they weren't enough to overcome the generally poor effort put in by Fleer Upper Deck. One of those hits was a Mike Schmidt relic card. Oscar/Stealing Home was interested in it, so we completed a trade.  He got Schmidt and I got some nice vintage in return.



 This was the main target of the trade.  A major upgrade to my 1974 set that I completed back in 2011.   It isn't often that I am able to upgrade a card in a completed set, so I am pretty happy with this.

Oscar also sent this NM version of one of the 1974 Topps Traded set, which is also an upgrade for me.


This card presents something of a dilemma for me.  It is in better condition than the Rhoden card in my 1978 set.  But, alas, this is the O-Pee-Chee version and, in 1978, the numbering didn't match between OPC and Topps.  This card is numbered 159, while the Topps Rhoden is 605.



I know some folks don't like 1970 Topps, saying that it is a boring design. But, I like it real well.  These two cards increase the number of 1970 cards I have by 40%.  I will be collecting the set at some point, although by my rough calculation in may not be until late 2014 / early 2015.  Nonetheless, I am quite pleased to have these.

 I'm kinda tickled with the idea of a Yankees fan getting a bunch of Dodgers and a Red Sock in a trade. If I was to hate any other teams, it would be the Dodgers and Red Sox. But, see, when you are a Yankees fan, you don't need to carry around a deep seated hatred of any other team.  The only emotion you can really ever conjure up with regard to other teams is pity.


All joshing aside,  this was a great trade. Thanks, Oscar!

1 comment:

  1. LoL..nice bomb, there.
    Great post and I'm glad I could help you upgrade a coupla cards for you. I love upgrades and I can pass the old card on to someone else.

    Hope we rock another trade soon!

    ReplyDelete