Friday, September 21, 2012

2009 Tristar Obak - Packs 1 to 4

So, I guess I better get underway with the review of my second box of 2009 Tristar Obak. Since I got this box, I also found a good deal on a hobby box of 2011 Obak.  But, other than that, it has (and will) be a quiet month for me.  September is a bad month to begin with.  It is my quarterly insurance month where I have payments due on.....*counts*.....6 different insurance policies.  Plus, I just signed a contingency contract to buy 5 acres of land that adjoins my farm. I won't bore you with the details, but there is a whole set of out-of-pocket costs associated with that even if the deal doesn't go through.

Alas, there is a card show tomorrow up in OKC which I am going to have to skip. Adult responsibilities suck.

But, I am sure you don't give a tinker's damn about all that, so let's get to the cards.  But first, let me ask what is up with Luke Scott and that Wolverine look he has going?


Okay, now let's get to it.

Pack 1

27 T212 Ted Williams San Diego
36 Al Rosen Oklahoma City

After I open a pack and sort through it, I will go back and determine which cards to scan and show in my blog post.  Alas, there hasn't been much in the way of thought into which I show. I mainly pick those cards that speak to me.  More often than not, it seems, what speaks to me is the team the player is representing.  And, those teams tend to be located in places I have lived.  So, you will see a lot of Rochester and Oklahoma City players, representing the two cities I most identify with personally. There may be a few Columbus and Reading players, as I have lived there also. But, I am not sure. We'll see when we get there.  So, I chose Rosen because he had a fantastic year with the Oklahoma City Indians in 1947.  That,  plus he was the President of the Yankees during the 1978 and 1979 seasons.

62 Gene Conlay Toledo
74 Alexander Cartwright Inventor

So, I am not sure where I have been for, oh, all my life. I bought into the Abner Doubleday mythology when it was, apparently, Alexander Cartwright who codified the first rules of the game based on the British game of rounders. My Brit friends like to say that rounders is a girls game, but what do they know. They seem to think rugby is better than handegg football. Thank God for the Revolution.


84 Francis Scott Key Star Spangled Banner
89 George Rawlings Sporting Goods

Pack 2

20 T212 Stan Musial Springfield
41 Ted Williams San Diego

Greatest hitter that ever lived and they chose a picture of him fielding.  But, strangely enough, I like it.  It just fits within the quirky style of this set that I love so much.

54 George Brunet Little Rock
65 Ron Kittle Glens Falls
69 Moose Skowron Kansas City

Another great hitter fielding in front of a spectacular sunset.  I counted. There are five such fielding pictures in the 120 card set. Make of that what you will.

78 The Dukes, Industrialists

Pack 3

56 T212 Ruekheim Borthers and Eckstein, Cracker Jacks
2 Robbie Grossman West Virginia
3 BJ Hermsen GCL Twins
45 Oscar Eckhardt Mission
"Ox" here didn't have much of a major league career, hitting only .192 in 42 official at bats across two seasons.  But, he tore it up in minor leagues, hitting .367 across 14 minor league seasons, giving him the all-time highest career average in organized baseball. Higher even than Ty Cobb.

63 Bobby Grich Rochester
See? Told ya. Rochester.

80 Harrison Harwood Manufacturer

Pack 4

27 T212 Ted Williams San Diego
24 Carlos Santana Akron
Just a simple base card.  But, later in the box, I got a numbered parallel of this card.  Which I immediately set aside for the only Carlos Santana collector I know.

33 Stan Musial  Springfield
So, now you have seen three of the five fielding pictures in this set.  Stan Musial of all people.

35 Brooks Robinson York
42 Russell Arlett Oakland
47 Joe Hauser Minneapolis

So, there is the first 4 of the 20 packs in the box. Hopefully, I'll get around to posting the rest a little more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment