Thursday, December 8, 2011

BOBOC - Pack 5


On to 1988 Topps Big, a set that was a modern take on the iconic 1956 set. The design is essentially identical with the front consisting of a head shot superimposed over an action shot. The back was similar as well, with vitals, a three panel cartoon, and two lines of statistics (previous year and career). Additionally, these cards are the same size as the 1956 set (2 5/8" by 3 3/4"). The obvious differences are the players name section, which replaces the yellow and red block from 1956 with a rainbow paint brush stroke. Additionally, the back of the 1988 Big employees more colors than the 56s.

So, let's take a quick look:







No Hall of Famers in this group, but I did get two of the top players of the era in Donnie Baseball and Carney Lansford.

Here is a look at the back of the card, where you can see what I was referring to above about using more colors.


When looking up Reynold's career statistics, I had a hard time categorizing him as any kind of offensive threat. He had a respectable .256 career batting average, but a positively mediocre .291 on base percentage. He hit a fair amount of triples, leading the NL with 12 in 1981, implying that he may have had some speed. But, over the course of his career, he has more triples (65) than stolen bases (58). Not sure what to think of him.


Did anyone actually ever send in for one of these sweaters? Just curious.

On a couple of separate notes:

  • Most of the cards I have promised have gone out over the last two days. At this point, I only owe Potch (Have to get a shipping box) and Napkin Doon (haven't got my Diamond Giveaway shipment yet.) So, the rest of you, keep an eye on your mail.

  • My posting may be slowing down here for a while. On Tuesday, I was given the fabulous opportunity to explore new job opportunities! Working for a Eurozone company does have it's disadvantages. But, I am not complaining. Between my savings and severance, I figure I have a two year cushion. But, buying baseball cards will need to go on hiatus for a while. I will probably spend more time exploring the cards I have and may blog about them. I don't really feel like I have found my voice as a blogger yet. Maybe this break will help me.



  • Anyways, it looks to be a beautiful day and my dogs are clamoring for their morning walkies. So, I best heed the call.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment