Friday, December 23, 2011

2011 Card Countdown - Number 8


One of my happiest discoveries this year is that really, really vintage cards don't have to be ungodly expensive, if you are willing to compromise a bit on condition.


1956 Topps Johnny Antonelli


With that realization, I started on a quest to put together the 1956 Topps set. This will be the longest of my long term goals and it isn't even clear if it will be achievable. That Mickey Mantle card may always be out of reach, but as Robert Browning said, a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Anyhoo, along the way this year, I started up a Johnny Antonelli player collection. Not long afterward, I found out a guy who went to the same high school I did now runs a company that sets up autograph signings and memorabilia shows in Rochester, NY and Minneapolis, MN. At one of his events this year, he had Johnny Antonelli signing. I shipped off 4 cards, including this 1956, to be autographed. And, with that, it rose to number 8 on my list of 12 favorite cards of 2011.

Coming tomorrow: An autograph of a player inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1956.

No comments:

Post a Comment